Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Sony NGP (PSP2)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/the-sony-psp2/

This thing, if it delivers on those specs, and isn't astronomically expensive, it could very well be a great handheld. But I'm not sold on it yet.

The rear touchpad in particular really intrigues me.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 01-31-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Edited title for searchability
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

It also needs some good games. The US library for the PSP is fairly bad...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Whoopity doo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I fear this thing will be $250 or at least $300. There is no actual basis for this (just my opinion), but because of the following statement:

When I asked about price, Yoshida replied, "We are not talking about price yet, but I hope that when we announce the price, people will say it makes sense."
    Although it can be interpreted in many ways, I fear they may go the route of the PS3 by saying "It's worth the $600 becuase it does alot of things!".

So yeah, I expect the system to be expensive, but this is my opinion.

Now, if the console is at least the price of the 3DS...or even cheaper...then that could be a very good thing. Imagine the PSP2 being $200 and the 3DS $250.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

With the tech specs on this device, Sony has not only delivered on every want and criticism that every fan and critic of the original PSP had, but innovated in some very clever areas.

It has 2 analog sticks, it has physical media, it drops disc-based media in favor of more sensible cartridge based data, and a laundry list of other things that anybody who's looked at the specs should know.

In fact, I've not seen a portable device with more hardcore gaming friendly specs EVER in my lifetime.

Everything on-board the NGP is so damned relevant to modern, contemporary gaming it's tough to make a legitimate argument against it not having what you need.

If the device can do what the best modern consoles and smart phones can do, there WILL be 3rd party support, and we'll have all manner of APP type games and full-fledged, full-featured software. I can't imagine there not being fun software at launch and beyond. That coupled with the fact that you've got access to the entire PS1, MINI and PSP library on the PSN at launch means there are already an ass-ton of great games to muck around with if you didn't 1st time around on a PSP, even if the launch lineup is thin or lacking. (Personally, my current PSN PSP/MINI/PS1 library is HUGE thanks to my PSPGo and PSN+ membership, so on day one I'll have a ton of stuff to fill out the internal memory of the device.)

I think that at this point, no matter what the price of the device is, that's going to be the thing that people looking for an excuse to justify ... I don't know, whatever personal disdain that they have for the hardware, go after

It's not going to be as cheap as the 3DS, so we might as well get over that in our minds right now.

I'm going to guess $400. I'll certainly pay less, and I'll pay a bit more (without being thrilled about it).
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, look, a portable PS3. /truth
    Last edited by Enigmus; 01-29-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Did I say sarcasm? I meant "the truth."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I think that at this point, no matter what the price of the device is, that's going to be the thing that people looking for an excuse to justify ... I don't know, whatever personal disdain that they have for the hardware, go after

I'm going to guess $400. I'll certainly pay less, and I'll pay a bit more (without being thrilled about it).
    At $400, I will pass. Heck, at over $250 I will pass. Reason being that, for a little more, I can get a "full fledged console" compared to a portable. Sure, it's not fair to compare a console to a hand held, but if I think that way, I know many others will so as well.

Also, the console can do many things but it still won't matter if the price is high. Just look at the Playstation 3: if the console was priced at a much, MUCH lower price, there would be a great chance that the current trend of consoles would have changed. But if the console is higher than it's competitor, it may not sell as well as they hope.

I firmly believe that the PSP2 should be priced at $250 and not a penny more, just to give the 3DS some sorely needed competition. Pricing it any higher will give the competition an upper hand, and people will simply purchase what is cheapest, which we have seen in this current generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like a very promising system. It also seems Sony has addressed many of the criticisms of the PSP and PSPgo, like finally adding dual analog sticks and doing away with a download only system. The touchscreen and trackpad look interesting, and it looks like they've got the major developers on board with their biggest titles. If the hardware specs are right, it's going to be a beast of a system. This brings me to the price...my best guess is $299? It'll be more than the $250 3DS, just because of the power alone, but Sony has been really stupid with their pricing in the past, so who knows? What concerns me about the price, is that Sony might look to Apple with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch pricing, and say well our product has most of the bells and whistles yours does, and try and charge somewhere in the $400-600 price range for it?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They've addressed many, if not nearly all, of the PSP faults. Now to see if the build quality got a booster shot and this thing can get an upgrade to field work. The PSP was the only portable device I never took portable on principle, out of fear of someone looking at it funny would shatter it. Price is the other Achilles heel, and with what's been said, the news is not good. "Second job to afford", not good. If it's $399+, the only thing that is going to save it is a suction feature.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't see any flaws with it, 'cept maybe the price and that's something the 3DS is guilty of too (at least in GBP) but nothing about it is making me go wow either.

The back touchpad is intriguing but I'd have to see it in action before getting excited about it. And great that it's as powerful as a PS3 but if I wanted that, I'd buy a PS3. Which I hope to do this year.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the link. The videos helped give me a better idea for the NGP is about. Hearing that they switched from cased-CDs to cartridges-based handheld while pulling off PS2.5 graphics (least from I've seen) gives me hope they might do the same console in the near future.

The way I see it, there's three things that'll decide if NGP will be a success or flop:

1. Games: The NGP's/Sony's best shot is Christmas 2011. They need a great battleship launch of software titles of the AAA-game variety cause we already know Nintendo's bringing Kid Icarus, Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil Revelations, Paper Mario, Kingdom Heart 3D, Professor Layton, and a possible Star Fox title in the future.

While the other side has Uncharted. Sony needs to bust out more goodies especially at E3 if they want to entice gamers and keep up with the 3DS.

2. Piracy: This has plague the PSP the same way Kratos has temper tantrums and ultimately why many developers are hesitant. Not even the God of War devs are safe.

http://www.play.tm/news/32268/ready-...t-of-psp-devs/

With PS3 recently cracked, it looks like NGP is next on the hacker menu.

3. Price: PS3's $600 price tag stinted the early years of its growth and that was before the recession. Now...money's tighter and the 3DS' $250 price puts the NGP/Sony in a bind.

Go too high n' gamers can't afford your system and go to the cheaper option.

Go too low n' stick it to the competition big time and take a huge hit to your bottom line in the process.

It's a balancing act but I'll bet Sony will price the thing around $230 or $240, just to seem "cheaper" in a sense.

Well that's my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It also needs some good games. The US library for the PSP is fairly bad...
    There's over 70 RPG's for the handheld on the US side alone. Not to mention God of War, Peace Walker, Birth By Sleep, Dissidia, Megaman Powered Up, and Castlevania Dracula X. You just have to drop the "Wii only has bad game mentality" and take a peek around.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PSP is/was very much like the Saturn, import and the library gets a significant bump. All the shmups, the Princess Crown port and the recent addition of Onichanbara. Then again, with a Pandora battery, you get all that plus more.

The PSPGo actually makes sense now in hindsight. They were hoping it would sell better (without getting cracked wide open) and be adopted by as many PSP owners as possible, to downplay their marriage to UMD and line up better with their future successor and the PSN distribution model.

That'll be an area where they still take a hit -- with owners of the UMD drive PSP systems, in the BC. Nintendo still has the edge in more than just the 3D gimmick(?) and definitely will have in price point. Eager will always beat pretty, so until they announce a retail tag, one has to assume it's just pretty for now. If they announce at $300, then I'd say they're both eager and pretty. I highly doubt that though.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 01-29-2011 at 12:58 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it looks great. I dont think any portable gaming device is worth more than $200. Im a Hypocrait because I am buying a 3DS at launch, only because I feel its the best console fo this generation. My only gripes with the console is I have heard nothing of a TV out(I never get to travel without being the driver) and all this console will provide is the same experience I can get on an XBOX/PS3/Wii. Also I am worried about games for this thing costing $60 or so.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The potential is there, but I can't seem to shake the memories of the PSP and it's god-awful software line-up. It had very few "must have" games over it's lifespan...a bunch of "goods" and very, very few "greats" (and this is from a day one early adopter). It's not really Sony's fault...just personal preference. Most of their exclusives bore me to tears. Uncharted? Killzone? Little Big Planet? Not even remotely interested.

Get a functional, sweet-looking, online FPS on there and we'll talk. Make use of those dual analogs! A few A-list RPG's please? How about a Dragon Quest that finally breaks its DS shackles and goes forward graphically instead of backwards? These possibilities are exciting...not the boring crap they've shown so far.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dual analogs... yeah that's cool. Still positioned in the wrist-shattering/carpal-tunnel syndrome inducing location UNDER the D-pad.... ugh. I love my PSP and have used it far more hours than my DS, but have to restrict myself at the moment based on the pain I experience playing it.

Console quality on the go (from both camps) is just too cool though. NGP - there better be a TV out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like a more than adequate machine but I'm not exactly sold on it. As for those wondering what the price will be, Sony has said that there will be multiple skus of the NGP at launch. This means that there will be more than one price. If I had to guess I would say that the prices will start at $300 and go up to $400. All models will have built in wifi but not all will have built in 3G.

Sony is now determining what they feel will be appropriate pricing for their system. While $300 is expensive the feature set pretty much requires it to atleast be this much. And even then Sony would still be losing money. The higher end models(which I'm still speculating will go for $400) will sell out at launch but after that it's going to be another long slow burn because people really won't won't to pay that much for a portable. But as we get closer to launch the rest of the details will continue to get worked out.

What I'm curious about is how much they will charge for their games. Some Psp games already go for $40 and since Nintendo is rumored to be charging between $40-50 for 3DS games Sony might actually charge the full $60 console game price for NGP games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Sony might actually charge the full $60 console game price for NGP games.
    I see $59.99 as very likely. The biggest factor in game prices is development cost...and since these are essentially equal to current-gen PS3 games, I don't see why they wouldn't charge the same price initially.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

What I find interesting is what if there is yet another console price reduction? From the $300 price tag to $250?

If this happens and Sony announces the PSP2 at $300 or more, many will ponder "Why in the world get a PSP2 for $300, if I can have something BETTER for $250!". This can be detrimental to the PSP2.

If they make several SKU's, the unit should start with $250 for the basic unit and increase from there. At least make it competitive to the 3DS and PS3, though some may just see this as a way to get the "bigger" consoles and not the handhelds.

I woud love to get a PSP2, but the price has to be right. I love the original and this seems sweet...I just hope Sony can pull it off to be a success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I think I'm going to pass on this next generation of handhelds, the PSP was pretty much a disappointment to me and my DS hasn't gotten any love in years. The NGP sounds cool and all, but it will no doubt cost at least $300 and I'm not ready to spend that much on something any time soon.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the chances of this thing being priced more than $349.99 are EXTREMELY slim. If Sony wants to come in with a more competitive price, then $299.99 makes more sense. However.... early on, Sony could be supply constrained, and then I would guess that they would launch at the higher end. If it's a Japan only launch in late 2011, I also could see them coming in at the higher end of the spectrum, and then coming to the US at $299 next Spring.

As for the unit itself, I have a few complaints:

1. Buttons and D-Pad continue to use the same crappy design as on the PSP. Sony uses a glass-like plastic for the D-Pad and buttons, which is quite slippery. At least, it was always quite slippery on the PSP and it looks to be almost indentical.

2. Sony is still using that 4 button D-Pad instead of a true D-Pad, why, I'm not sure. I've never liked the idea of needing to press down on two buttons to try to get a proper diagonal. I have to wonder how easy it will be to play games like Super Street Fighter 4 and the new Mortal Kombat on this. Will you really be able to hit the diagonals like you would want to?

3. Both the face buttons and D-Pad appear to be smaller than necessary. Looking at the high rez photos of the unit, it appears that the D-pad and face buttons might actually be slightly smaller than they were on the original PSP, despite the fact that the PSP2 is actually quite a bit longer (obviously due to the 5 inch screen). I'm guessing that Sony got worried that the length would be too long, so they deliberately made the D-pad and face buttons smaller than normal. Not exactly what I'm looking for considering I don't have super tiny hands.

4. D-Pad and Face buttons still don't rise far enough above the unit itself. Looking at the side shots of the unit, I think the D-Pad and Face buttons are too recessed to the unit. They don't rise up far enough to give you the better feel of hitting buttons like you would get on a real controller.

5. The size of the screen, while at first seeming to be one of the biggest selling points, might just make the unit too damn long. It's a relatively thin machine, but damn is it long. Current PSP's could be slid into a pocket but this thing? It's definitely not the most portable thing I've ever seen.

6. No HDMI out? As powerful as this thing is, you'd think that it would have a HDMI output so that you could connect it directly to a huge HDTV. It does have bluetooth capabilities, so you'd think that you could use a DualShock 3 controller with it, (wirelessly), while having the unit connected to a large HDTV. This way, you could essentially use the PSP2 as your one and only gaming device. When you get home, you connect the HDMI cable to it, and grab you're DS3 controller, and kick back on the sofa in front of your 50 inch plasma. If you're going away for the weekend, you bring the PSP2 with you, (along with another HDMI cable in case the hotel's TV has a HDMI input!), lol.