Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Yeah, without the extra mode the game really is much, much too short and easy to be worth whatever price it commands (and I'm sure it's substantial).
    A loose cart is worth around $5, I think it's worth that price. I've played through the game but haven't played through the hard mode yet, it is an enjoyable title for sure. The early Kirby games are all pretty good, I just didn't like that Tilt 'n' Tumble one for the GBC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    A loose cart is worth around $5, I think it's worth that price.
    o rly? I figured it would have been one of those games with abnormally high demand. How unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Kirby 2 is still my favorite game in the series, it's got the best level designs and gameplay of the whole series... such an amazing game. Kirby 64, on the other hand, is the one I found the most disappointing, of the ones I've played; I really had high hopes for it, after Kirby 2 (I didn't have a NES or SNES then so I hadn't played those ones), but it was quite thoroughly underwhelming. Kirby feels really slow in that game, it's just glacially paced. It's also very easy, as expected, except the challenge -- going back to try to get the three crystal shards in every level -- is a complete pain. Some require getting a power in one level, not getting hit until you beat it, and then going to some other level and using the power at some point in that stage (again, without losing the power). Obviously, unless you use a guide to tell you what powers you need where, this is really annoying. I never finished getting all the shards, the game just wasn't fun enough.
    I am entirely baffled that you can praise Kirby 2 in this fashion and then rag on Kirby 64, as I find your criticisms easily apply.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game isn't even a "platformer", since you can just hover through every level without jumping or fighting.

In case you didn't read between the lines there, it bored me to death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    I am entirely baffled that you can praise Kirby 2 in this fashion and then rag on Kirby 64, as I find your criticisms easily apply.
    How so? Kirby 2 doesn't play much at all like Kirby 3 or 64... I mean, beyond that they're both Kirby games of course. It doesn't have those games' slow pace, and the gameplay is somewhat different as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    The majority of them are color-coded, so no guide is needed to determine the necessary power combination.
    I often had a hard time knowing exactly what each color referred to though, sometimes I had to try multiple things before I could figure out which one it meant... so, use a guide to know what power to use. Also, some of the shards were hidden fairly well. As I said though, before finishing the task of getting them all I stopped playing the game because it just wasn't fun enough to play for that long. As far as 2d/2.5d N64 platformers go I liked Goemon's Great Adventure a lot more than Kirby 64.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, Goemon's Great Adventure is magnificent, so it's tough competition. I really liked Kirby 64, though. I even took the time to do every last little thing, like completing the enemy card collection and beating boss rush mode. It would probably make my top 10 N64 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kirby 64 just about put me to sleep. I have no idea how anyone can enjoy that game.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Kirby 64 just about put me to sleep. I have no idea how anyone can enjoy that game.
    This from the guy that recommends garbage platformers like Chuck Rock and Wonder Dog. :P

Anyway, because it's a really solid platformer with tight controls, creative stages, and fun moves? Not to mention great graphics and music.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm in the 'Kirby 64 was boring' camp. I tried really hard to like it, but I just couldn't get into it. Not really sure why, honestly, just didn't click with me.

Kirby's Dream Land, however, is an amazing game that everyone should play at least once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    This from the guy that recommends garbage platformers like Chuck Rock and Wonder Dog. :P

Anyway, because it's a really solid platformer with tight controls, creative stages, and fun moves? Not to mention great graphics and music.
    Hah, yeah, Kirby 64 is kind of boring, but it's better than games like those two for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    I'm in the 'Kirby 64 was boring' camp. I tried really hard to like it, but I just couldn't get into it. Not really sure why, honestly, just didn't click with me.

Kirby's Dream Land, however, is an amazing game that everyone should play at least once.
    True, but I'd say that Kirby 1, 2, and Adventure are all must-play titles really... Super Star (or Super Star Ultra) too perhaps, and for the spinoffs Pinball, Dream Course, Block Ball, and Canvass Curse should be played for sure. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and Kirby's Epic Yarn are solid games as well, for the newer platformers. But I probably do like the 8-bit ones best, both for nostalgia and gameplay reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli
    This is highly debatable. Even though Kirby had more attacks on Super Star, the game played much slower and had a far worse level design than Adventure in my opinion. It's still a great game, just not nearly as good as Adventure.
    True, but I like Kirby 2 just as much as Adventure...
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 07-31-2011 at 11:02 AM.