Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    A scan would be cool!
    No problem.

Now, I'm not the best scanner in the world, I did this really quickly. Some of the smaller caption text isn't too readable, sorry. It's really weird that they have all sorts of screen shots, hints and crap and it never saw the light of day. Oh well, that's Sega for ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool thanks

Theres a guy here on DP that used to work on sega visions right? Maybe we could ask him where did they get the screenshots for this game

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool thanks

Theres a guy here on DP that used to work on sega visions right? Maybe we could ask him where did they get the screenshots for this game :)
    They're most likely screenshots from the PC version or the color-downgraded Amiga port. And the hints and tips are based on the PC version, since the SEGA CD version didn't have any new or reworked gameplay.

-- Z.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has great graphics...but I didnt like it that much...the character moved a little too slow, dont you think?
    Oh I must disagree. Yes, Flink is no Sonic, but he speeds up to an acceptable speed after a walking for a second or two. It's still a slower-paced and more deliberate game than most platformers, but that's also part of its charm!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree there are quite some good games on the Sega-CD. Sadly a lot of great games never saw a Pal-release. But still I love games like Keio, Road Avenger, Sonic CD, Shining Force and so many more.

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099

Now THAT is a game that I'd really like to try! What's CD32?
    The CD32 was a system of Commodore and in fact a console based on their Amiga 1200 computer (there are even add-on's to make you CD32 a real Amiga 1200). It sold decent numbers in some parts of Europe, but never gained much popularity outside. The system has some great games, but I would recommand a normal Amiga 1200 over it.

Oh for a picture http://www.ifrance.com/ninjaw/cd32/_Images/med-CD32.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Cool thanks

Theres a guy here on DP that used to work on sega visions right? Maybe we could ask him where did they get the screenshots for this game
    They're most likely screenshots from the PC version or the color-downgraded Amiga port. And the hints and tips are based on the PC version, since the SEGA CD version didn't have any new or reworked gameplay.
    Well, considering that they did use the same version of SCUMM, it would have been relatively (key word) easy to swap out the Monkey Island game data for the Fate of Atlantis game data. The color downgrading would be the big problem, methinks.

...By the way, I know such discussions always grow tiresome, but if the Amiga was based on a Motorola 68k, wouldn't that make the CD32 a 16-bit machine?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Thought I'd step in and assist here.

Here's a really big image so you can get a good look at the pictures and text from that page in Sega Visions. I also contacted Bill Kunkel to see if he has any recollections of this game.

Click for IMMENSE picture

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    ...By the way, I know such discussions always grow tiresome, but if the Amiga was based on a Motorola 68k, wouldn't that make the CD32 a 16-bit machine?
    I believe the CD32 was based around a 68020, which is a 32-bit processor.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/68020/

The graphics processor was probably 32-bit as well.

Here's a really big image so you can get a good look at the pictures and text from that page in Sega Visions. I also contacted Bill Kunkel to see if he has any recollections of this game.
    Hmmm... those screenshots look like they were simply PC shots run through a bad filter. I had a couple of the Amiga conversions of LucasArts adventures from the time (not Indiana Jones, but the Monkey Island games and maybe a couple others) -- they looked way better than this. And it can't be the scan 'cause it looks crystal-clear otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the Indiana Jones thing is interesting. Since it did operate under Scumm, it seems like it would be simple (relatively) to port it to Sega CD.

Plus there are many Japanese Mega Cd games that are begging to be translated like Shadowrun, Illusion City, and Record of Lodoss War. From what i have gathered, Record Mega CD is basically the same as the SNES version. Since that version has been translated, it seems like it could be patched or something.

The Darkseed thing is really interesting especially with this original cover being scanned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motley6
    The Darkseed thing is really interesting especially with this original cover being scanned.
    Darkseed also came out on the Saturn in Japan, but I would assume it's all in Japanese.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Thought I'd step in and assist here.

Click for IMMENSE picture
    Zack and Michael T are almost certainly correct. While Fate of Atlantis was a huge success on the PC, it never arrived on the Sega-CD to my knowledge, nor, I suspect, was the project ever seriously considered beyond the "oh yeah, we're gonna do that too some day, aren't you impressed?" phase. I was the Sega CD reviewer (at whatever magazine we were working on at the time, which was probably the 90s version of EG) throughout the system's brief lifespan so until I unburdened myself of the collection, I had virtually every game that was released for the system (which meant a whole lot of really bad games and some terrible partial-motion video along with a few gems) and certainly everything from Sega and I did NOT have IJ&TFOA among them. If it had come out on the CD it would have been a VERY big deal and I'm sure I would remember it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by motley6
    Plus there are many Japanese Mega Cd games that are begging to be translated like Shadowrun, Illusion City, and Record of Lodoss War.
    Ooh, Shadowrun! Is it a port of the Genesis game or the SNES game? Or is it once again an entirely different game?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's completely different, and quite good, actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently, Penn and Teller has been leaked. I read on some blog that the Darkseed ISO is around now too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jasonegitto View Post
    Sega CD didnt really get any good games. Most of the games probbobly are rare and unreleased.

I did see the Lunar games and Shining Force CD. Those games cost around $100 alone. I am looking for some that are cheap. Half.com has them, but Im not in the mood to spend that much money on games I already have, but I will soon end up buying them because they will be needed in order to complete the... uh... complete collection of Sega CD games.
    I strongly disagree. There are at least 10 Sega cd games that I think are great...

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRV View Post
    Darkseed also came out on the Saturn in Japan, but I would assume it's all in Japanese.
    Darkseed and Darkseed 2 were both released on Saturn in Japan, and yes they're both entirely in Japanese... wish I could find a walkthrough for 'em
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

yeah i wish i could find a walk through (in english) for my Airs Adventure for JP Saturn. The game looks very good.. i just cant get out of the first city.. Doh!
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad this thread got resurrected because I'm trying to complete my Japanese Mega-CD collection right now. I have 5 games to go (out of around 122) and have leads on three of them, so if any of you happen to own Fahrenheit or Psychic Detective Series Vol. 4: Orgel on JP Mega-CD, let me know! I'll pay you a lot!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motley6 View Post
    Apparently, Penn and Teller has been leaked. I read on some blog that the Darkseed ISO is around now too.
    Yes...about two years ago! In October 2005, to be exact.

Here's the original threads about it!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...120&highlight=
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...175&highlight=

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Anybody who said the Sega CD had no good games never played Snatcher or Popful Mail.

Now, I could swear that Darkseed was actually released on Sega CD--I seem to remember seeing it in a store in Bellevue Washington and thinking I should buy it before it went out of print, but I chose to get a Saturn game instead because I was more interested in getting software for my new system.

Am I confused? Does anyone else remember this?